You know all those writers who say that writing keeps them sane?  The ones who swear that even if they won the lottery tomorrow, they’d still get up each morning and face the computer keyboard with vigour and joy?  The ones who would die if they couldn’t write?

Well, I’m not one of them.

At least not at the moment.  At the moment, I would take my lottery winnings, invest in a really good hammock (and possibly a beautiful modern climate controlled glass house in case of rain — though the sun is quite gorgeous this morning), and I would read and doze and doze and read, and occasionally get up to make a heap of toast with gooseberry jam.  And I wouldn’t stop until I’d read all the books I really wanted to read, which might be….never.

13 thoughts on “Compulsion

1. Mariam Vossough 7 years ago

Refreshing honest, as usual 🙂

2. Kathryn Evans 7 years ago

I’ll provide the greenhouse if you provide the lottery winnings?

3. Amanda 7 years ago

This is called burn-out. Seriously. You need to take the summer off, or your well will run dry.

I think there’s an element of that, Amanda. But I’m not going to take the summer off (i take about 20 out of every 24 hours off, after all). However, I’m thinking of writing a slightly different kind of book, which I’ll talk about soon. And very excited about it too!

4. Lesley Martin 7 years ago

That’s sounds utter bliss. Throw in a warm cat, (well, not literally throw, that would spoil the ambience!) a pot of coffee or a bottle of red, depending on the time of day, and it’s my idea of heaven.
    But, Meg, my YA ‘reading experience’ would be much dulled without your fabulous novels. So get out of that hammock and start writing!

The warm cat might make things a bit too exciting, Lesley. What with the lurchers and all, that would be one noisy hammock.

6. Jozefien 7 years ago

I like the idea. Give me just my backyard. It doesn’t matter it’s noisy, because if you’re really sucked in a story you can’t hear a thing.

I lead a life like that, so let me warn you it’s not as easy as it seems. No hot cat, however. Where did that come from?

I’m going to choose not to listen to you, witch. And I bet you don’t have a hammock….

8. Nigel 7 years ago

Keep going Meg! I think “Compulsion” sums it up perfectly: for the sake of sanity, the writer should stop (sometimes). For the sake of sanity also, the writing simply cannot cease!

If it’s any help or encouragement: looking forward HUGELY much to “There is No Dog”.

Nigel x

Well, it is very encouraging, Nigel. I’m looking forward to it being finished — we have that much in common!

9. Ellie 7 years ago

I couldnt agree more, i’d do just the same, except im not a writer.
    glad you have monthly blogs now.
    I dont feel like such a nag anymore =D

Monthly! I’m trying to blog every few days. And I’m going to run and tell my daughter that nagging sometimes pays off…..