Oh dear. Forgot to mention that I have a new paperback out — and isn’t that just typical? I mean, aren’t we all supposed to be ruthlessly flogging our books? Isn’t that why we blog? I dunno. Too many years in advertising for me to worry about sales sales sales. But it is NEW AND IMPROVED, and Pell has gone from being dark and brooding to being blonde and windswept.

UK paperback

I’ve got all new covers in fact, and I am very interested in your opinion. If you’ve read the books, do they feel right? If you haven’t, do the new covers make you want to read them?

As I may have mentioned before, the subject of covers has the power to turn perfectly sane sensible authors into ranting maniacs.

Oops. Did I say sane and sensible? I’m not sure I’ve ever met an author like that.

US Paperback cover

New UK cover

New UK cover

New UK cover

18 thoughts on “The Bride’s Farewell, Now Available in Blonde.

1. Maria 6 years ago

I got the blonde cover last week when I finally got some surprise money, after waiting to buy The Bride’s Farewell for months! I must say, that image of Pell on the cover doesn’t fit with the one in my head in the slightest. She’s definitely a brunette to me.
    I don’t think it’s really fair for an image of the characters to be shown, I prefer to let my imagination do the work 🙂 x

Have to admit I was surprised too! She was definitely a brunette in my head….

2. Amy who loves books 6 years ago

I like the US paperback cover more than I liked the HB cover, although it’s much greener than I pictured. LOVE the What I Was cover – that’s very much the mood I felt when I read it. I’m neutral on Just In Case, I did like the greyhound. I really don’t like the How I Live Now cover. It looks like Miley Cyrus. Eek!

3. Mary 6 years ago

Oddly, I was recommended The Bride’s Farewell a couple of weeks ago and was going to pester the library for it. TBH I think the new UK paperback cover would put me off! It looks rather ‘sloppy romantic fiction’, a bit Mills and Boon- like. Although still on the romantic side, I’d be more likely to pick up the US book – there seems a hint of fantasy/fairytale in that cover.
    Having read How I Live Now I just can’t see how the cover is supposed to fit the book.
    I’m too old to be your target readership but, after all, I’m still likely to be buying for presents or fetching from the library, so they do need to target parents as well.

4. Lesley Martin 6 years ago

Oh dear, I don’t like any of these covers. They pigeon hole the books in the Jodi Picoult slightly-better-than-chick-lit category – I might pick one up for a train journey or a holiday but I’d be expecting a mindless undemanding read. For me, they don’t reflect the quality of the writing, stories or characters at all – I much prefer the original hb covers for all your titles. These covers wouldn’t make me want to read them – although the Just in case cover is not too bad – but I am not a teenager. I do think they look a bit insipid though and that is one thing your books are definitely not.

5. Anne Rooney 6 years ago

I must say I prefer the original covers of the older books, without pics of the characters. I agree that it’s nicer to be able to build one’s own image of a character. Those new covers look as though they have been designed to appeal to reading groups and get across nothing of the unusualness of the books. Thumbs down, I’m afraid.

6. Gail 6 years ago

The UK covers are just so generic — you could plop them on any number of books. Don’t you have any say at all? Much prefer the US cover, but preferred the original horse one most of all. But I’d read them no matter what, because they have your name on them. 🙂

7. Mel Rogerson 6 years ago

I prefer the original UK covers. The new ones are commercial and will probably sell to the masses, but they’re also bland. Your writing deserves better.

8. Vivian Oldaker 6 years ago

I really think your work deserves better than these “chick lit” style covers, Meg. For me, the biggest offender is the cover of “How I Live Now,” which is one of my favourite books of all time. To me this book is universal in its appeal and definitely non gender-specific; I can’t imagine any boy thinking it might be a good read, with a cover like that. However, I like the cover of “Just In Case,” maybe better than the copy I own.
    I had a problem with my own book: “The Killer’s Daughter.” The original design was black and white and interesting (and importantly again, non gender-specific.) the final version was weird and pink. But I, as a first-time-published author, had no influence. Do you?
    I understand that publishers are in the business of maximising sales, but it’s infuriating when you think they’ve got it wrong and that the cover may alienate some readers and mislead others.

1. Mari 6 years ago

I couldn’t agree more, especially on the cover of “How I Live Now”. It’s not that these covers aren’t nice, they just don’t seem to quite fit the stories inside.

9. C 6 years ago

Just in Case is my favourite book of all time, and I love the new cover. (Augury, Justin? I bet it’s a death omen.) Blonde Pell on the other hand, ah, not so much. The back of the head in How I Live Now makes Daisy seem mysterious and aloof, which grabs my curiosity. And What I Was is pretty.

10. Lauren 6 years ago

I have to agree that they look like they’ve been Picoulterised (and don’t get me wrong, I admire Picoult for being good at what she does and doing oodles of research), and that just doesn’t fit the text inside. Then again, I tend to dislike front covers with (obvious) photographs to begin with.

I love the scrapbook look and all the twirly, hickledy-pickledy bits on the old UK covers.

11. Vivian Oldaker 6 years ago

Have just noticed a more than slight similarity between the new cover of: “How I Live Now” and a book called “The Chosen One” by Carol Lynch Williams due to be published in August by Simon and Schuster. I know covers have fashions, just like clothes, but…

Vivian Oldaker author of “The Killer’s Daughter”.

12. fraser 6 years ago

I’m a bookseller in London and I have been ruthlessly thrusting your books onto customers for several years now as I find them so deeply refreshing and moving. However the new covers aren’t helping me persuade the public of your skill i’m afraid. I’m so sorry to sound negative but it’s hard to promote your writing for it’s emotional precision and verve when the new covers make them look like fluff. When a descriptive Recommendation Card is placed on the shelf it seems at odds with the books themselves. Your voice is unique and it’s being presented as generic, irrelevant, pastelle drivel which is a terrible shame. But of course I promise to keep on plugging your work in our stores and eagerly await future works regerdless of the packaging

Ahhh….split reaction. So grateful that you’re thrusting my books at people — and of course worried about the new covers for the same reason you are. I keep wondering if there’s a split between adult and teen reactions. Any opinion on that? They don’t scream literary fiction though, do they?

13. Sarah 6 years ago

With How I Live Now the paperback cover was a factor in my initial interest (bit of a magpie when it comes to books, much to my shame). I loved the HB covers for What I Was and The Bride’s Farewell – there is something about the style that suits the magic within. Not sure I would have picked up How I Live Now with the new cover.

14. Ellie 3 years ago

I’m a fairly new reader, and I first discovered your books with the new covers because I was looking for precisely what others are saying here: sloppy romantic fiction! Luckily, what I discovereed was much better, but I doubt I’d have actually picked the book up in the first place if I didn’t think it was some teen romance novel, which scares me a bit!

How interesting, Ellie. Well, there are NEW new covers now — not too scary looking, but not quite so girly.
      In any case, I’m really glad you found my books, and glad you weren’t scared once you started reading!