I spent a few hours in Holloway Women’s Prison last week (famous inmates have included Myra Hindley, Maxine Carr, Ruth Ellis and an illustrious rollcall of suffragettes) talking to a group of female prisoners. Some of my group of sixteen were murderers, others minor drug offenders. One looked as if she could be at school with my daughter.

The prison was far less horrifying than I’d expected, with pretty internal gardens tended by inmates, and two lovely librarians (with keys).

Though ostensibly convened to talk about How I Live Now, it quickly became apparent that the subject was something altogether else. So we talked about bad decisions I’d made in my life, the struggle to find valuable work, and the redemptive power of books — and love. Despite a few attention deficit issues, they were a great, thoughtful group with a common concern for their children and husbands and futures, women who had clearly suffered more bruising life experiences than most. I thought about John Mortimer (author of Rumpole of the Bailey)’s quote, ‘Murderers have killed the one person in the world who was bugging them and are usually quite peaceful and agreeable.’

After an hour and a half I began to flag, so resorted to what I once loved doing with my daughter’s year 5s — I read to them. I’d brought Just In Case, but at the last minuted opted for Vamoose! because it’s funny — about a teenage girl who gives birth to a moose baby.  There were a few outright howls of outrage when I began. “What is this?” shouted one woman. “That can’t happen.” Which is not what I get from my usual audience. “Hang on,” said I. “Listen a bit.” And they did.

When I finished reading, half an hour later, there was total silence. And a queue to borrow the book.

Thanks to English PEN for setting it up. I was sad to leave. Not surprisingly, the person who gained most from the experience was me.

9 thoughts on “Chatting with murderers.

1. Candy 6 years ago

fantastic post, meg. were there any big readers in the group?

One or two readers, Candy. But the rest….not much. My books aren’t easy, and the point seemed more — talking about life.

3. Clara Gillow Clark 6 years ago

I didn’t know about your book, Vamoose. I’ll look for it now. So nice to hear about your visit to prison. Now you’ve really got me wondering: Was research involved for a new book?

No, no. Definitely no research, unless you count all of life as research…..

5. Kathryn Evans 6 years ago

Great post Meg – reminds us all to challenge our own prejudices – especially those we don’t want to admit we have.

6. Pingback: Tweets that mention Chatting with murderers. | Meg Rosoff -- Topsy.com

7. Celine 6 years ago

Great post, thanks for sharing, Meg. When you went into the situation did you expect a normalish reading then chat, or did you go in expecting a looser Q&A? Was there a set time you were going to spend there? ( I ask only because it’s such an extraordinary type of environment – I’m wondering if you found yourself modifying your usual approach to a reading.)

I think you never quite know what to expect no matter who the group is, so I rarely have a prepared talk. Sometimes I just ask the audience what they want to talk about, or hear about. (And yes, I knew it would be 1.5 to 2 hours.)