Here is my beautiful share horse, Moss, doing what he loves doing best. I am not doing this sort of riding any more, thanks to the very awful story of Melanie Reid, a Times journalist, and one or two experiences of my own. If you notice me flagging on this resolve, please call in the sharpshooters.

10 thoughts on “A Public Statement

Not half.

I’ll personally come and sit on you. (Or very nearly, since that might also be bad for your health.) Never wanted to mention, along with the admiration for your hobby, how worried it made me.

I am, for better and worse, missing the fear gene.

2. lynne Harris 6 years ago

and all I ever wanted was a pony … but not any more.

3. Dragana 6 years ago

At the Salperton Horse trials last week, nearly every rider was wearing those inflatable safety jackets, despite the heat. V sensible. I have my eye on you Ms Rosoff, should you think of doing a Lone Ranger impersonation…..

£425 for those jackets. I just bought a hat so expensive I’m assuming it flies you back up to a standing position if you fall off. With little retractable wings.

4. jackie morris 6 years ago

Maybe not the eventing Meg, but surely still riding. My parents wouldn’t let me do anything when I was little ‘just in case’. Terrible, tragic. Horses are dangerous, so are cars, and bikes and planes and being a pedestrian. A friend of mine fell off a slow horse and spent a year with a cage round her head. She can’t ride anymore if she wants to keep on walking.
    I try and stay off horses, as a single mum with no insurance and a mortgage etc, the last thing I want to do is break and arm. But then I get that summer grass warm sun horse smell in my mostrils and there I am again, careering out of control on the back of a beast.

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

5. faith 6 years ago

I was never really into this kind of riding. But then again after a few accidents I’m a bit more timid now. Just don’t tell my trainer that. She still hopes that I’ll do the big fences again. 🙂