1.  The World.  Though it’s difficult most days to stand up, walk out, and get in it.

2.  Tea.  How do Americans survive 4pm, otherwise known as Heartbreak Hill? Coffee, I suppose.

3.  Pets.  Nothing like the wuffing of a drowsy post-walk lurcher (or French bulldog).

4.  Agents and editors who GET IT.  Not the other sort.

5.  Heartbreak, joy, depression, madness, disaster, elation. Fodder.

6.  The Book, for occasionally coming out right.

7.  The book you wish you’d written.  To aim for.

8.  Horses.  For riding/writing metaphors.

9.  Children.  Why else would you need to sell so many books?

10.  The career from hell that pays the bills.  So as not to starve before getting famous and looking back fondly.

10 thoughts on “The Writer’s Friends

1. Sara 6 years ago

All too true.
    In connection to #7 above, it occurs to me to wonder if you’ve ever read Susan Juby’s ANOTHER KIND OF COWBOY as it strikes me as something you might like.

Just had a look — everything I like — gender, friendship and horses. Will have to find it….thanks Sara.

2. Sara 6 years ago

That was meant to say in connection to #8 … my comment seems weird or vaguely insulting when rendered with my bad math!

3. Bazza 6 years ago

Meg, I would love to write but I don’t have the natural talent. Therefore I don’t have the problems you indicate in your last two posts. What I do have is the intense pleasure of reading. When I read an author like E Annie Proulx I am content because with that kind of talent in world I know there’s little point in me trying to write!

So glad to hear from someone who isn’t trying to write, Bazza. Sometimes I think everyone in the world is….I agree with you about the pleasure of reading. There are days and weeks in which I’d like to forget all about writing and just stay in bed with a book that isn’t mine…

4. Pip 6 years ago

Ahh, another morning coffee made all the more satisfying by having nice thought provoking blog post to read. Also, bonus, can count this as work as work in children’s publishing. Thanks Meg!

5. Amanda 6 years ago

What about chocolate? Or is this why you can fit into designer castoffs and I can’t?

6. Michelle 6 years ago

Number 10. Sometimes your truest friends are right under your nose.

7. Amanda Fisher 6 years ago

Simon Armitage, poet
    I try to get in a bit of a walk most days. Most times it’s a toss up between going for a walk and staying in and writing a poem, but it often leads to the same thing. I go on to the moors – we live on the edge of the Pennines and Saddleworth moor, and it can be quite bleak and quite dangerous. Sometimes I go off-piste, but there are issues around here with land ownership so sometimes I stick to the roads and the routes and sometimes I wilfully transgress, which gives me a kick.

Some people have said there’s a relationship between poetic meter and the fall of your foot – and possibly your heartbeat might be thought of as an iambic beat when it’s amplified by walking. Often when I go for a walk I come back with a poem. There’s a sense of creativity about it, and a sense of wellbeing that you are getting the organs and lungs and the blood moving. You never come back from a walk feeling worse – sometimes you come back feeling colder and wetter though, especially up here.

I’m sure that somewhere in the back of my mind I see it as a therapeutic activity. I know it can be good for a hangover. Some people believe strongly that art in general can put you in touch with yourself and through it you start feeling worthwhile and valuable, and there might be some kind of chemical trigger that aids recovery and keeps illness at bay. If a walk leads to a poem, maybe there’s a relationship there.

I am 47 now and sometimes I think “How many more fantastic days out on these moors are there?’ Sometimes it can be an expedition just to go up there, but when it’s sunny and clear and crisp like yesterday it’s exhilarating, and that gets right down to the far tributaries of your lungs that normally are breathing warm radiator air and it does heighten your sense of wellbeing.