It’s been ages since I’ve had one of these dreams.

It’s the one where you have to get somewhere and you miss first one train, then another, then when you finally manage to get on the next train, you only travel for half an hour before it catches fire and everyone has to get off, and you don’t know which gate everyone was transferred to because you weren’t paying attention, and now it’s 9pm and you were supposed to be there at 7, and if you don’t do something you’ll miss the whole thing, so you go to get a taxi, but then realize you left your bag on the burning train so have no money.

I woke up this morning shaken and relieved to be conscious, but the dream stayed with me all day.

Having started writing again yesterday after weeks spent doing other things, I wonder what the dream was trying to say.

Here’s my guess:

Get moving. Pay attention. Remember your destination. Focus. Climb back on the train. Stop messing around. (For pity’s sake.)

Otherwise you’re going nowhere.

8 thoughts on “Dreams

1. raych 6 years ago

Only in dreams is your train catching fire just a Serious Inconvenience and not a Reason To Take To Heavy Drinking For The Rest of the Day.

I dunno about that…. I’ve been doing some heavy drinking today just in case.

2. raych 6 years ago

Better safe than sorry. I will help. *bottoms up, as a precautionary measure*

2. adam 6 years ago

Sigmund Freud wrote that train dreams were about death, and that the missing/delayed train dream in particular was meant to be a reassurance that it was not going to happen quite as soon as you fear. So no need to cancel plans for next weekend….. 🙂

Phew.

Read Andy Mulligan’s Ribblestrop.

4. kokorako 6 years ago

Your dream is clearly showing you how much you want – indeed crave and thrive on – distraction! I can help: so if you’d like to see a 30 min film that a sort of neighbour of yours, Jonas Grimas, has put together about HFS on wed 30 march at 7pm you would be v welcome. Doors open at 6pm. I’m v over-excited about it, lots of stories from mums about why they moved to the UK, including war, prison, hope etc. And unspoken by the lot of them, this little spot of London is where dreams might come true. Nicola

5. Girl Friday 6 years ago

I have those dreams all the time – missing planes or trains or buses, and always losing my bags which somehow seemed to have all the coolest things in the world in them, and if only I could just find my bag everything would be all right… {Enter Dr Jung}