I may have mentioned before that I have two lurchers. Or, to paraphrase John Lennon, they have me.

Then there’s my third dog.

All three seem to have been hanging around more or less forever, dogging my footsteps.

All three creep into my head when I’m trying to think of other things, stick their furry demanding noses in my hand, greet me first thing in the morning and last thing at night with a quick snuffle. They try to scramble into my lap despite being far too unwieldy. They don’t like being away from me and won’t walk themselves. They make anxious soft squeaking noises when I don’t pay them enough attention.

I’ve given the third Dog away now. He’s out in the world. I hope he’s getting enough to eat and that people are being kind to him. I think he’s a handsome, impressive beast, but perhaps I’m prejudiced. Perhaps he’s just scruffy and eccentric.

If you see him, please give him a pat. Or better yet, take him home.

9 thoughts on “Three Dogs.

1. Jessica 5 years ago

Congratulations Meg! I just finished reading What I Was (and of course I adore How I Live Now) and I can’t wait to get my hands on this. PS I am an adult! X

2. Antony John 5 years ago

Still can’t believe we have to wait until January 24th in the States. I thought dogs were welcome over here without six months’ quarantine. Or is the book still waiting in the never-ending queue at immigration?

There’s always amazon.co.uk, though some people believe that waiting is a good discipline for mind and body (not me, obviously).

3. Georgia Coutts 5 years ago

i was actually just wondering when i would get to read this. when will it be available in new zealand?

Quite soon, I hope, Georgia. NZ usually publishes pretty close to the UK. I’m guessing within a month or two?

4. Meghan 5 years ago

Just saw your email about the book in my inbox… and I really want to buy it… however I seem to have hit a small wall there… I am currently in Japan… :/
    Save me a copy? ahaha, I shall buy it when I get back to English speaking countries, or maybe I shall order it over the internet. I am looking forward to reading it ^.^

Thanks, Meghan! Have some sushi for me…..

5. C 5 years ago

I spotted him on the street today and had to take him home. Anyone who could just walk past should be charged with cruelty to animals. Thanks for another masterpiece, Meg. I hadn’t been excited over cracking open a new book since The Bride’s Farewell.