I wasn’t the last to know, but I’ve been offline for two days, and came home to find a few hundred emails, many of them demanding to know whether it’s true that Saoirse* Ronan has been cast as Daisy in the film of How I Live Now.

I’m not sure it’s 100% official yet, but having just googled it, it would seem to be public knowledge. And true.

I’d heard whispers that she’d been interested in the role for some time, but I know Kevin MacDonald, the director, was dead keen on casting an unknown. So what happened? From what I understand, an amazing audition happened.

And that’s all I know so far. Except that they’re still looking for the perfect Edmond, and the production is on schedule to shoot in spring 2012.

I’m genuinely sad for all the young actresses who auditioned, but if you’re going to lose out to someone, Saoirse Ronan seems better than most. She’s such a brilliant actress and I can’t help being more than a little bit thrilled.

However….film rights for The Bride’s Farewell have also been purchased recently, so there’s still hope. Pell is another great role for a young actress (look guys, it’s not a coincidence — my female characters are not your average Oooh ooh Mr Vampire, I love you SOooooo much) — but for Pell, you might have to start working on your riding.

*SIR-sha, by the way.

44 thoughts on “How I Live Now Film News

1. Anande 7 years ago

Whoa, so exciting!!! Congratulations, I’m so thrilled. She is absolutely brilliant.

2. Antony John 7 years ago

I’m with Anande on this one. Saoirse has been consistently brilliant in every movie she has made. Daisy is in great hands. Congrats!

3. Laurel Patton 7 years ago

She is perfect for Daisy, what a wise choice! I’m so excited to see the film. Congrats on the film rights of The Bride’s Farewell! Brilliant news!

4. nerr 7 years ago

i’m so excited, i think she’ll be great. YAY!

5. Ruth 7 years ago

I must confess that I don’t know her, but she looks very Daisy to me! Congrats! Looking so much forward to this movie …

1. Liz 7 years ago

Check out HANNA, Lovely Bones, and Atonement. She’s an Oscar-nominated teenager. Super-duper talented. Wonderful choice imo!

2. Ruth 7 years ago

Ooops. I guess I read too much… 😉 Thanks for the “link”, Liz!

6. nicola baird 7 years ago

I’m so excited about the Bride’s Farewell news too – what a fascinating 2012 and onwards awaits! Nicola

Don’t know her, but she looks right.

8. Tony 7 years ago

Is it just me or is it impossible not to read her name as Sore-arse?

1. Alex 7 years ago

That is EXACTLY what I thought. It IS just you, Tony. x
      PS Awfully glad you put in the pronunciation guide at the bottom though, Meg. I’d been struggling with it since I first read the announcement last week.

9. Jersey 7 years ago

This is the best choice for the lead role, what a great actress already! I’m not surprised she nailed the audition though.

10. scastagnoli1 7 years ago

Ms. Rosoff, I haven’t yet read your first novel, but I’m fairly well versed in film, and I can state to you without hesitation that Saoirse is the finest young actress in film today.

The central character in your novel is indeed in very good hands.

11. Karlijn 7 years ago

Dear Meg,

I work as an English teacher in The Netherlands and have almost finished
    reading How I live now with my 16/17-year-old pupils. I am now reading it for the second time and keep discovering new things. I really cannot wait to see it
    on the big screen. Saoirse will be a wonderful Daisy!
    Love,
    Karlijn

I’m so excited by this. I think she’ll be brilliant as Daisy. Thanks for all the feedback, folks.

13. Reeder 7 years ago

So excited by the casting of my favorite in the film of your novel, I’m going to invest in a copy!

14. Jenna M. 7 years ago

Honestly, I think she will do a good job, but I am quite disappointed. I wish more unknown actors were able to have a chance to be in a big films. Just because someone is an “unknown actor” doesn’t mean they aren’t talented. They just haven’t had the opportunity to showcase their talent on a large scale. I thought “How I Live Now” could have provided that to some deserving unknown actress.
    But yet again, Hollywood has chosen to go with someone famous.

But Soairse Ronan started fairly recently as an unknown (as did everyone else!) — lost out for a role in Harry Potter. All those talented young actresses will get their first break eventually.

2. Jenna M. 7 years ago

I didn’t know about the Harry Potter role. Was it the role of Luna Lovegood?
      And I just find it annoying that many large, high profile films as well as smaller films say they want to cast an unknown in a lead role, and then they end up casting someone famous.

3. Jenna M. 7 years ago

I am also a young adult actor myself, and I know just how hard it is to book anything, much less get a big, career changing break.

4. Liz 7 years ago

We know they auditioned tons of people, perhaps they just didn’t feel like they found the perfect Daisy. And as meg said, it seems Ms. Ronan gave an amazing audition. Sure, she’s “someone famous”, but she’s earned it through all the consistent acclaim she gets. And this adaptation deserves the best anyways so whatever.

I’m already envisioning the trailer title cards…

…From Academy Award-winning director Kevin Macdonald
      …starring Academy Award nominee Saoirse Ronan
      …based on the Award-winning novel by Meg Rosoff!!

5. Jill 7 years ago

@ Jenna: But Saoirse is hardly “famous” in the Hollywood sense, if that’s what you’re saying. She’s still widely unknown to the United States, and just because she has starred in past films doesn’t make her “Hollywood.” She’s a working actress in the industry but she’s pretty much a non-Hollywood actress if we go by her past roles.

6. Jenna M. 7 years ago

I wouldn’t call her a Hollywood actress because she lives in Ireland rather than California.
      But she has stared in huge films like Atonement, The Lovely Bones, City of Ember, Hanna and soon to be in The Host.
      She is very well known in the entertainment industry.

15. Jill 7 years ago

@ Jenna: I’m not calling her a Hollywood actress, though. I used Hollywood since you said “Hollywood chose a famous actress” when in fact Ronan isn’t really famous by Hollywood’s standards and this being an independent project. If Ronan’s audition for the part convinced the producers to cast her instead of an unknown (who’s audition probably should’ve been equal if not better to win the part) then I really don’t see the problem. She won the role fair and square.

The TLB is the biggest budget she’s been on – the closest one that would be a studio film – while Hanna and Atonement were all modestly budgeted (when she was in Atonement she was practically an unknown). I wouldn’t consider City of Ember a huge film since the distributor that handled it went bankrupt before its release so it had no little marketing considering its budget was over $55MILL.

16. letitia 7 years ago

Hi Meg congratulations, are there any chances of ethnic actresses to audition for any smaller parts in the film ? If so how would I be able to be seen for an audition.

Letitia

Absolutely no idea, Letitia, but I’d certainly imagine yes.

17. Sanah (worked at Puffin marketing when this book was out) 7 years ago

how I live now is absolutely perfect film material – should have happened ages ago. And what a brilliant director.

Thanks, Sanah. It’s exciting, isn’t it?

18. Harry 7 years ago

Are they still looking for Edmond.
    I’d love to try- they were going to come to my school but I never heard back from anyone…
    The book is brilliant.
    Harry.

19. Cameron Spain 7 years ago

im so happy a films finally being made! I read this book back in 2005 when i got it for my birthday and (having suffered from one) i feel you portrayed eating disorders really accurately. beautiful book btw, i love the idea of walt disney on e! hopefully ill be decent enough in my audition for edmond (although the script says he’s being called eddie, is this just shorthand?) im slender, have hair that looks like i cut it myself with a hatchet in the dead of night (no joke), but im not quite sure what qualifies as ‘unconventionally beautiful’ – what nina gold is asking for. my school, st pauls are hosting auditions and i know i wont get it but its such an honour to be a part of your project (well not really but you know what i mean)
    Cameron
    PS Id so honoured if you even replied! honestly this book helped me get through my worst times

20. Cameron Spain 7 years ago

sorry for the long comment, i know you probably have enough to do already

21. Em 7 years ago

Hey Meg, was just wondering if you knew if Saoirse is 100% offical confirmed to star? I hope so, i’m looking forward to the film!

I’m pretty sure it’s definite, but is anything ever 100% in the movies?

22. Lily 7 years ago

I am reading As I Live Now right now for English class and I think it is a great book. I am not familiar with the actress they chose for the lead, but then again I am an American and from what I hear she is not widely known here in the good ol’ USA. She definitely looks the part and I hope that the movie will be quickly released in the US. I have read other books by you and I have liked them all. Thank you for putting great books on the market for avid readers like me and so many others

Lily, she was in The Lovely Bones, if that helps?
      THanks for your nice note, so glad you like the books!

23. Ryan 7 years ago

Have you seen much of Ronan’s work? I think she’s extraordinarily talented. I’m amazed some of the posters here haven’t heard of her.

Yes Ryan, I think she’s brilliant.

24. cal 7 years ago

mate of mine went up for edmund, hope he gets it