Strictly speaking, as a Jew, I don’t have to give anything up for lent. But I do find that extreme psychic deprivation distracts me from the various seething resentments that go with being a writer.

So here’s what I’m giving up:

1. Manolo Blahnik shoes.
  2. Folding laundry.
  3. Watching the Academy Awards and caring what anyone wore.
  4. Plot development.
  5. Answering the phone.
  6. Justin Bieber.
  7. Chocolate covered insects.
  8. Hennessy and Coca Cola.
  9. Polite applause.
  10. Anything by Jonathan Franzen.

I think God will be impressed by my list.  I bet hers is similar.

16 thoughts on “Things I’ve given up for Lent.

1. God 5 years ago

Yes indeed, my list is very similar!

2. Vanessa Harbour 5 years ago

I think that sounds a perfectly reasonable list of things to give up. I am sure you will miss them desperately 😉

3. Stroppy Author 5 years ago

God, did you really give up those shoes? I’m going to waste the evening photoshopping Manolo Blahniks onto pictures of Jesus now…

4. Francesca Simon 5 years ago

Now Meg, I get giving up watching the academy awards (I mean, who hasn’t?) But not caring what anyone wore??? You are moving into hair shirt territory…

OK, I peeked. Don’t tell God.

No. I phoned. She answered.

6. ejrunyon 5 years ago

One year I gave up being gratuitously humorous at the expense of others — it was a turning point in my young life.

7. Jess 5 years ago

I’m glad you gave up Justin Bieber, not a fan of his and never will be! Sorry to any Justin fans! 🙂

8. Jan Carr 5 years ago

Darn I’ve given up all of those except folding laundry
    I was hoping for some more ideas
    could go with the laundry
    or punctuation

9. Mieke Zamora-Mackay 5 years ago

I try to give up folding laundry every Lent, but unfortunately, my will is too weak. Or my family’s reluctance to wear wrinkled clothes is just too strong.

1. Mieke Zamora-Mackay 5 years ago

Maybe I should give up worrying about punctuation issues in my blog comments. Damn.

10. Ayse 5 years ago

…an interesting picture is evolving in my head – Lent is finally over and there is Meg in her living room wearing her favorite Manolo Blahnik shoes having just finished folding laundry whilst watching the Acadamy Awards recorded on sky+, taking note of who wore what giving her an idea for a murder mystery thriller. The phone rings… ….”Hello…oh hello Justine…yes yes do come round…yes I do have Hennessy..yes, yes Coca Cola too! but get some chocolate covered insects on your way over please as haven’t managed to get to the shops today… I know they’re your favorite…see you in a bit..ok..bye…bye! Happy days, Spring is in the air…Meg smiles to herself and takes thanks for life being back to normal, giving herself a polite applaud for having even remembered to get Jonathan a birthday card months before his special day, only problem hoping not to forget where she put the damn card come August……

Silly me!