1. He hasn’t yet been cast.  A certain ethereal quality mixed with intelligence and compassion behind the eyes that everyone will know when they see it. Isaac, his twin brother, has been written out of the film.

2. About four hours a day, depending where I am in a book. Two hours max at any one stretch.

3. Very well, thank you. I haven’t fallen off and it’s been three months now. And there have been a fair few opportunities to do so.

4. Almost never, with the exception of Sherlock and occasionally Countdown.

5. “If you set out to take Vienna, take Vienna.” Napoleon Bonaparte

6. Picture Me Gone, about a man and his daughter searching for his old friend in upper New York State. If you have an idea for my next book, please do not hesitate to contact me. Usual rates paid.

7. Two hairy lurchers, one large chestnut Irish Sport Horse.

8.  Fourteen. She generally prefers dystopian trash but recommends There Is No Dog.

9. The Guardian, The Week, The New Yorker, Horse & Rider, the Weekend FT.

10. Stefan Sweig, The World of Yesterday. About 300 pages to go.

11. Never.

12. Simon Russell Beale, Eddie Izzard

13. The coast of Suffolk. Really nice sheets. Hilary Mantel.

14 thoughts on “Answers to frequently asked questions

1. Bazza 5 years ago

Isn’t it interesting how one’s mind fills in the empty spaces and constructs the questions, sometimes precisely, sometimes vaguely.
    It’s the literary equivalent of negative painting when the artist paints the space between objects to define them.
    A really entertaining post; you should take up writing.
    My answer to a frequently asked question is:
    “I would if I could but I can’t”.
    Click here for Bazza’s Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

2. Geraldine Brennan 5 years ago

I love that Lassie cartoon too. I sent it to loads of friends until John Lewis stopped doing New Yorker cards. Whose stupid idea was that?

3. Sarah 5 years ago

Can you repeat Q1 for Piper? Just out of interest…

4. Samuel Henderson 5 years ago

Hi Meg, I’m auditioning for Eddie in your ‘How I Live Now’ in Sheffield, tomorrow, for the film adaptation. I’d just like to say how brilliant this book and inspiring this book really is.

Hi Samuel. Good luck. And unless I’m a few drafts behind, I think he’s back to being Edmond these days (though I could be wrong).

2. Samuel Henderson 5 years ago

It was a brilliant experience and I wish the film all the best. Thank you for your reply. Edmond it is!

5. James Page 5 years ago

Dear Meg Rosoff,

I auditioned for Edmund a few weeks ago and it was a great experience. Before the audition I bought a copy of the book and fell in love with it! I read it in one day. Brilliant.

6. Holly 5 years ago

Hello Meg,
    Isaac has been written out? How has that been done? How I Live Now is my favourite book, but I’m horrified that a film is being made of it. It’s too much of a beautiful book to be made into a film, especially nowadays, when so many people will miss the finer points and just be talking about how hot the guy playing Edmond is. Will you tell us who the actors are?

Hi Holly– I’m hoping you’ve underestimated my director and producers and casting director, etc. You never know, they might actually make a really good film! (Stranger things have happened). Last I heard, Isaac had been written out, and i can understand why — casting Edmond has been incredibly difficult and the idea of finding two! Wait and see. It might all turn out wonderful….and if it doesn’t, you can always say I told you so.

7. Sara 5 years ago

“A certain ethereal quality mixed with intelligence and compassion behind the eyes that everyone will know when they see it.” I have just such a boy about the house if anyone should want to borrow him!

8. Samuel Henderson 5 years ago

Hiya Meg, just wanted to wish you luck for the film and to thank Kevin for the oppurtunity. I managed to get down to the final 3, I think, in the running for Edmond’s part in the film. Unfortunately I didn’t make it further but oh well, take it on the chin! Haha the best of luck though, I know it’ll be amazing. X

1. Max 5 years ago

Well done Sam! I did my callback for Edmond and Isaac well over a year ago, its nice to know they finally cast it! I was gutted when I wasn’t recalled again, out of interest do you know who got it? Or if it was a known actor or an unknown? Personally I hope it was an unknown, but either way, it must be someone good if it’s taken this long to choose! Good luck to all involved