I’ve been getting a lot of queries lately, and though I don’t know a huge amount about what’s going on, here’s what I do know:

1. The script is still being polished, and no, I haven’t read it.
  2. There are four or five actors in the running for Edmond and three for Piper, and they’ll be workshopping with the director (Kevin MacDonald) and Saoirse Ronan for the final choice. As far as I know, these are all “unknowns”, ie, not Zac Efron or Taylor Lautner. Or Daniel Radcliffe or Robert Pattinson. Or Shia LaBeouf. Or Eddie Redmayne.
  3. Principal photography begins 25 of June (!!!)
  4. Location will be “remote” — north of England, Scotland, Wales?
  5. Film is likely to be released in spring 2013

If you’re insanely impatient, you could always reread the book, or go see Kevin’s latest film, a biopic of Bob Marley, which I enjoyed greatly.

I’ll keep you posted.

7 thoughts on “How I Live Now Film Update

1. Duncan Ball 4 years ago

Enjoyed the book enormously and I’m sure you’re in good hands with Kevin Macdonald.

2. Kirsten Baron 4 years ago

Rereading, definitely. I found a copy of How I Live Now in a charity shop, tutted loudly at the notion that anyone would give the book up, and bought it. We already had it, of course, but no 2 daughter has taken it to uni with her. Good to have another copy in the house.

3. Jessica 4 years ago

I know there is not much you know, and I hate to bother you, but do you have any knowledge of if casting has begun for very minor roles?

Really sorry, Jessica, no one’s mentioned minor roles to me….and yes, I’m curious too….

4. Holly 4 years ago

I said this on twitter too but thought I’d post it here as well. A part of me is really happy about the film as I want as many people to read the book as possible and I hope it will inspire them to do so but it makes me a little sad also. For me the book is my growing up book, that is I read it when I was around 13 and I always see it as a turning point in my life, when I started to grow up I guess. I don’t want to lose that, for the film to change it.

I’m still happy though, if they do it justice it will be fantastic.

5. Stroppy Author 4 years ago

Oooh, fantastic. They start in June and release next year? That rather puts publishing to shame, doesn’t it? Books I finished in Jan are not out till 2014….

6. Dominic 4 years ago

Loved the book, I really hope Kevin does a good job on the film 🙂 I checked the cast out on IMDb, pretty awesome cast. I noticed a new actress in the credits: Sabrina Dickens, who I have never seen before. But wow she is beautiful! I look forward to seeing it.