1.  The boy playing Edmond, (who is also known as Eddie, and kind of incorporates Isaac from the novel, in other words, is a bit different from the book), is an actor called George MacKay.  He’s not quite what I imagined, but I’ve had it on excellent authority that he and Saoirse are magic together.

2.  The boy playing Isaac (who sort of incorporates Osbert, who’s been written out of the film), is an ex-Billy Elliott called Tom Holland.

3.  We already knew that Saoirse Ronan would be Daisy.

4.   The film is shooting on location in a remote part of Wales. West of Brecon.

5.  The screenplay, though quite different in many ways from the book, is very good. Emotional, modern, romantic, very English.  (My husband didn’t like the presence of Morris Dancers in one scene, but that struck me as a fairly minor detail.)

6.  Edmond (Eddie) is a bird of prey handler (now why didn’t I think of that?)

7.  Daisy and Edmond are still cousins.

8.  A main character who survived the book fails to survive in the film, but it would be wrong to tell you who dies.

9.  The director remains Kevin MacDonald. Who is amazing.

10. The film starts shooting in approximately 10 days.

11.  I’m not nervous, really I’m not.

46 thoughts on “I know a few more things about the How I Live Now Film

1. Samuel Henderson 4 years ago

I thought Eddie was meant to be played by an unknown actor?! I feel a little dissapointed, I came in the top 3 for the running of Eddie I beleive. What happened Meg?!

So was Daisy. I guess they gave the parts to the people who they thought would do them best. I suppose that’s what happens in acting. None of the parts went to non-actors, but George McKay isn’t exactly a household name. Nor is Harley Bird, though she’s won a Bafta. Ultimately it’s the director’s call, as it should be, but I’m sorry you were disappointed, Sam.

2. Samuel Henderson 4 years ago

And I suppose you’re correct there. I hope the rawness isn’t lost, however with Kevin…It most definitely will not be. He’s a genius. Don’t apologise! Just my opinion, I wish the film all the best.

2. Jessica 4 years ago

Ive read the script but no spoilers! Its good though 🙂 and the location for the house is beautiful!

3. Paula/Hollander! 3 years ago

Hello , i’m spanish!! when the film opens in Spain??
    I’ll see the movie by one of the actors, Tom Holland on out much?

I don’t know when it opens in Spain…sorry! Tom Holland is brilliant in The Impossible. x

2. Paula/Hollander! 3 years ago

Hahahahaha i love Tom Holland!! :$
      but when released in America or England? hahah i love this film 😉

4. Laura 3 years ago

I have read “How I live now” -in french, I’m french- in 2008, I am 25 years old now and today it’s still one my favourite book, may be number one to be honest. I’ve read in one day or.. a night, I just couldn’t put the book on the table and sleep.
    I can’t wait to see the movie even if there are some differences between the book and the movie, and in my point of view Saoirse Ronan is wonderful.
    I can’t wait! 🙂

Thank you Laura! How nice to hear. The movie should be out in September-October….I haven’t seen it yet, so fingers crossed it’s good. x

5. Laura 3 years ago

And by the way, i’m really sorry for the mistakes..

Laura

6. Willa 3 years ago

Do you happen to know when the movie will come out in the states? By the way I loved the book it was so good!

Hi Willa. Glad you liked the book. I don’t know exactly when the movie comes out in the US, but I’m pretty sure it’ll be around the same time as in the UK — ie, October? Maybe November? The trailer should be out in the US soon, and it’ll probably say, so keep your eyes open. Here’s the trailer, btw.

7. Kerry 3 years ago

Fantastic news re the young leads — and anyone unfamiliar with Tom Holland should get hold of “The Impossible” double quick. As is the case with so many other commenters here, “How I Live Now” is a book of my heart. I can’t wait to see how the film handles its narration. Meg Rosoff, are you a fan of Kevin MacDonald’s grandfather Emeric Pressburger and his fellow Archer Michael Powell? I can’t imagine your not loving “I Know Where I’m Going.”

Yes, I’m a fan of Pressburger and Powell — The Red Shoes is one of my favourite movies of all time.Never seen “I know where I’m Going” but will now.

8. Daisy 3 years ago

One of the main characters dies? Oh dear. It rarely happens in films. Usually, it happens the other way round, with someone who died in the book surviving the movie. Hope it isn’t Jet….I have a soft spot for dogs. Meg, by the way, are those amazing lurchers on the intro for the website yours? They are super gorgeous.