Once again, me hearties, the news this week makes me proud proud proud to be a human bean.

While the Republican party in America swings so far to the right that they’re in danger of sailing the ship of state off the edge of the known world, our own dear Tory minister for health has suggested that the time limit on abortion be reduced in a “modest” way from twenty four weeks to, um, twelve.

Meanwhile, Mitt Romney’s adorable running mate, Paul Ryan, would like to see legislation banning abortion in cases including rape, incest and where the mother’s life is in danger — and, oh yes, he would also restrict access to contraception. Romney, with a keen sense of what might.…just…possibly limit his appeal to 50% of the electorate — would merely overturn Roe vs Wade and immediately remove all funding to Planned Parenthood (the nation’s leading sexual and reproduction health care provider and advocate which offers education, advice, contraception, HIV screening, cancer screening, counselling, contraception and abortion access to all — including those with no health cover). And oh yes, he does believe in abortion for women who’ve been raped.

Good on you, Mitt.

Is anyone else feeling a bit dizzy from the speed of history flying backwards on women’s rights?

Thank goodness for Julia Gillard, Australian Prime Minister, and her brilliantly passionate attack on the leader of the opposition. “I will not be lectured on sexism and misogyny by this man.”

Come on, Obama. Follow Julia’s example. Stand up and let us know what you believe. Or at least what you used to believe, before four years of being nibbled to death by vipers.

10 thoughts on “America’s sex life under threat by Republican goons.

1. olliebobs 4 years ago

Great stuff from Julia Gillard – shame it has to come from a woman thought. Where are the men denouncing this crap?

2. Mik Bedson 4 years ago

I understand our Minister for Health is also going to make it illegal to shake hands with any woman who is menstruating.

3. Laurel 4 years ago

Be careful not to trip as you march backwards….

4. Mike 4 years ago

Wow. It’s just like the ’70s all over again.

The 1770s.

5. sallyparkrubin 4 years ago

I have a friend who debated Todd Aiken awhile back. She reported to me that he said (about rape), “If a man can’t rape his own wife, who can?” These guys are so revolting, it’s mind-bending. But, somehow, the wanna-be’s somehow think that they might actually win the lottery and then (they perceive) they’ll be part of the 1%. It’s amazing how many people are willing to vote against their own best interests.

And yeah, it is like back to the 70’s, only worse, I think. At least, in the 70’s we hadn’t gone through AIDS, so everyone was having sex. It’s way way way more conservative now than then.

6. sallyparkrubin 4 years ago

PS: Our national sex life isn’t under threat by the Republican Party, it’s under siege. I believe they’ve attached anti-abortion legislation to almost 500 bills since President Obama has gotten into office.

Does make you wonder what’s happened to America? How did this happen? It wasn’t like this when I left in 1989….

7. christine tripp 4 years ago

A man with 5 DAUGHTERS would have a very different view on abortion. It’s astounding how backwards a 1st World Nation can be, with views on women in their society bordering on those of the Muslim Countries they attack.
    I’d be deathly afraid to find out what the two of them want to do with gays and same sex marriage, if they see nothing wrong in sentencing a 12 year old girl to carrying her fathers baby to term.
    I like Canada more and more the older I get!

8. Terry 4 years ago

What they need is to have sex once in awhile with whomever they’re afraid to have it with.

9. Jake Elliott 4 years ago

After studying Religious Education at GCSE level and scraping an A grade with just under two years of revision, I feel that David Cameron’s ideas about lowering the late abortion limit are completely justified. I fully agree that giving somebody that long to have the procedure is ridiculous – if a woman really cared about her body and her life, she would take responsibility for herself and her child and make an informed decision almost immediately after conception. Do you KNOW how long it takes for the baby’s heart to start beating in the womb? Killing anything with a pulse is taboo… If it was up to me, I’d lower the limit even further! I don’t give a crap if you are mentally scarred or too worried to go through with the treatment; make a decision and stick with it. Christ.

However, Paul Ryan’s stance is disgusting and the man shouldn’t be let anywhere near congress. America, get your head in the game.